Saturday, August 16, 2014

Fungus Among Us


Few years ago I'd decided to try growing shiitake mushrooms on logs using wooden dowel plugs impregnated with a mushroom mycelium. You can easily find the on-line store to purchase  them. I had no problem with oak logs as well, we had just cut down a huge oak tree in front of our house  and I picked few pieces not split yet for fire wood and started my experiment.  Following the instruction I  inoculated logs. The whole process from inoculation to fruit took more than a year, the process requires some work and plenty of patience, but the rewards are delectable.

The name shiitake means “mushroom of the oak,” but I've found references that shiitake mushrooms will also grow on sugar maple. This year I've decided to extend the plantation. I'll let you know what result I'll get.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers